Bilsteins?

When you hit a pothole and it sounds expensive..
awolfinsheepsclothes

Bilsteins?

Post by awolfinsheepsclothes »

Hi all new to this Forum it’s time to get the S8 back on the road and I need some new springs, so may as well put some shocks on at the same time as the mileage is over 180k and they may not be available in a few years. When I look at the Bilstein web site I can’t work out 100% which part number is for my chassis number (probably not much use ringing them as they just read it of the computer). I need a expert who has actually worked on a S8! Help MJ
Mine is a 2000 40 Valve AQH I can give the chassis number if needed (is it safe to do that over the internet?) thanks in advance Dave
MikkiJayne

Re: Bilsteins?

Post by MikkiJayne »

Factory-equivalent suspension for the D2 is not an easy question unless you're prepared to spend £2K on what few brand new bits are left at Tradition.

Bilsteins come in either B6 dampers, or the B12 kit with Eibach springs, both of which will lift a stock S8 slightly, especially if the stock springs have sagged a bit. Bilstein don't really understand the concept of lowering tbh, or that 'maximum axle weight' is not realistic kerb weight. The B12 kit is far too stiff for anything other than 20" wheels, and you'll looking like a Gasser putting them on a manual as they are weighted for an auto with 4 passengers and luggage.

B6 dampers might work with stock springs, but again they will lift the car slightly as they are intended to lower the standard A8 so are slightly longer than stock S8 dampers. I can't recommend those either.

I'm running Spax RSX on my manual at the moment, and they work well on the front although they are sprung quite hard for UK roads. The rears on the Spax are a pain because they are far too short, so some carolina squat going on, albeit 50mm lower than the Bilstein Gasser look. I think they would actually work well with stock rear springs, but most of those are broken.

I had grand plans to work with Spaz or Gaz to make a slightly-better-than-factory spring and damper setup, but life and covid got in the way, so right now I don't actually have a satisfactory answer sorry.
Ronin
Site Admin

Post by Ronin »

There's a few dozens of spring combinations for each D2, a car that came with 18"s from the factory will have different springs to 20" factory wheels car, if you had a fridge in the back or electric seats, you will have different springs once again. Audi went to a lot of trouble to fine tune each setup for each spec of the car, when i had to do my suspension i kept it as original as possible as i didn't want to ruin the work of audi's engineers.

If you do want to order OEM springs and struts from Audi Tradition (audi's classic parts store in germany) forum user Spanker can help you with that, they don't deal with UK since brexit :(

If your car is going to be a track toy then adjustable/sport suspension is definitely the way.

If your struts are good, just rusty you can easily and cheaply refurb them, I covered this here:

viewtopic.php?t=32
awolfinsheepsclothes

Post by awolfinsheepsclothes »

Hi thank's i'm happy with the std suspension for the terrible roads road oldham tbh but i'm not prepared to spend that sort of money on new from tradition ( i can only see one of each item too? and 1 spring is no use i need 2 of eveything) and i can't see any colour codes. my shocks are past it really and i want new to last another 20 years thank's MJ i'll look at Spax too
Dave
Ronin
Site Admin

Post by Ronin »

Spring Colour codes correspond with part numbers for specific springs, you can also tell what ones you need from the spare wheel well sticker or the same sticker located in the service book.

Tradition spring prices vary from 80 to 180 euros a piece, depending which one is on 'sale' at any given time.
Knowing the part numbers will also let you search for used springs, sometimes you may get lucky and get good ones cheap

Original ones lasted 20+ years ;)

good luck