Introduce yourself and show us what you drive.
Davy893

Post by Davy893 »

Trying to keep my 4.2 Q Sport 1996 on the road. Owned since 1998 with 267,000 miles on the clock Still mot'd but collecting lots of advisories related to sub frame back and front corrosion and perished bushes. Interested to hear from anybody with similar aged vehicle ,
MikkiJayne

Re: new member

Post by MikkiJayne »

Welcome :)

Subframes are a problem yeah. I just did the rear on mine with new or refurbed everything and I'll be doing another one in November due to it rusting through. Bushes are a pain, but not impossible. The challenge is finding good donor subframes now. If yours are still solid and not actually perforated then you have the possibility of removing them for blasting and painting. Powdercoat is less feasible since the main subframe bushes are unreasonably expensive, unless you go for polyurethane.

When I get a moment I'll make a thread on mine with all the part numbers.

MJ
Davy893

Post by Davy893 »

Good to hear from you.Await derails of your experience but I have no appetite to do this work myself.
Best
Davy
Ronin
Site Admin

Post by Ronin »

You will struggle to find a garage to do it, and if they do it will be thousands for the labour.

No one wants to have a car stuck on the lift for weeks after some bush is no longer available.

You can probably make a good start by just collecting all the parts required, that's a challenge in itself.