Gearbox service time

Hopes and dreams go in, witchcraft happens, misery and error codes come out. Unless you have a manual then all is well with the world
Strummagnet

Re: Gearbox service time

Post by Strummagnet »

I have contacted Liqui Moly and await a reply on a nearer approved service center, so see what happens there. The gearbox shifts fine apart from a little hesitation sometimes when lifting off upon going downhill (gentle nudge is felt).

Electro chap came round. It's electro mechanical interference, bad ground somewhere. Nothing mechanical wrong.

Hopefully a scan will point out where. Next step.

Re: Gearbox service time

Post by The_Laird »

Just a quick point on the cost of a ZF gearbox service. I have had at least 6 done on my S8 at Mackies, south of Glasgow. The last one, in September 2023, cost £185 plus VAT. My car has over 200K miles on the original gearbox; I’m convinced the regular services have contributed to this.

If I’m not staying with friends or family in the area, I go up the night before, stay in a Premier Inn (or similar) 10 minutes walk away and pop it into Mackies to cool off overnight so they can start work first thing. It’s then ready to collect by lunchtime.
2002 Final Edition S8. Ebony black with Silver Grey leather and myrtle wood trim.