Hello all, this is new!

Introduce yourself and show us what you drive.
27litres

Hello all, this is new!

Post by 27litres »

Hi everyone,

Just found this while performing some D2 maintenance and needing to look up a couple of procedures.

Sorry I've not been around in a while, life got in the way and any D2 issues were put on the "to do" list.
All is good now, have made a full recovery.

The S8 now has a new washer pump (2nd in 2 years - and I bought a Herth+Buss pump the first time which I thought would be a good thing).
a new headlight washer hose coupling after I dropped the bumper on removal, before disconnection, and broke the 23 year old original! - Amazingly my local VW dealer had this in stock! If anyone ever needs one (the 90° quick connect washer hose fitting at the bumper) its 1J0955665E and cost me $25 with the "tyranny of distance" tax, probably about £5 for you lot!
My boot lid lining is currently removed, while I await a new central locking actuator seal. Have had an air/vacuum leak there for a while with long duration pump error codes, and the boot now occasionally refuses to lock and the alarm "beep" doesn't sound when locking. I found a suitable seal via a post on the other forum (I forget who, Brian or Mark possibly) and have ordered some - will take a week from Germany. In the mean time I've rubbed some Dow Corning over the crack and will see if that holds (yet to be tested). While the boot lining was removed, I've attempted to find some flocked headed trim screws, as I'm missing one. Possibly part number N90416102. I've ordered some from LLC parts (.co.uk), so will see if they're correct when they arrive. One of the trim push pins under the triangle was broken too (not by me... I don't think anyway), So I'll try and get one of those before putting the whole thing back together in a week or so.

Last two items still remaining are the parking sensor rear speaker (procedure by Mikki seems like a PITA, so will wait for some nice(er) weather), which means they don't currently work. And a new drivers side rear door glass (mower threw a stone at it 18 months ago and D2's are rare as hens teeth here...)

So... Now to address the Elephant in the Room: How did this forum come about?
I read some off hand comment about the "other" forum crashing or something. It's working now, and whenever I've wanted to access it it's worked for me, and I stumbled across this one quite by accident and found a heap of familiar names...

Anyhow, cheers for now

Marty from Melbourne!
Marty

Ronin
Site Admin

Re: Hello all, this is new!

Post by Ronin »

Hello and welcome!

Prices of spare parts for you may be a little higher, but i bet living in Australia your subframes have never seen rust!

This forum came about from necessity, the other forum kept crashing and ran over plain text for years meaning it was extremely unsecure.
The owner wouldn't do anything about it and would not allow certain things to be posted these forums.

This forum works, is here to stay and is constantly updated and well maintained. There's also no ban on sale of used car parts or breaking, or Audi Tradition parts ordering.
MikkiJayne

Post by MikkiJayne »

Hey Marty :)

The rear parking sensor is a bit of a job yeah, especially if you have a blind.

The other forum was pretty unstable and fell over a lot, then about this time last year it was down for a month. Having seen a campaign of cyberattacks on small poorly-maintained websites such as forums and wordpress for the couple of months prior with work, I assumed the worst that it was sitting there with a ransom note on the desktop and not coming back, so we started this one as a replacement. Turns out it had crashed again and the owner was out of the country, but we'd lost patience with it by then, having been offering for years to help out with upgrades and maintenance etc and being turned down. I believe its actually been fixed now, but the owner of the other one took some degree of offence to us starting up this one so here we are.

That joint from the headlight washers is one of the few D2 parts which became ubiquitous in other models, hence the 1J number (mk4 golf) and it being in stock. Sadly, the washer pumps are unique to the D2 and I haven't found any good aftermarket replacements. The D2 unit supersedes to one from another model (A3 I think) which is a similar shape but has a more modern connector. That was used by dealers for warranty work for a while, and needed the connector swapping over. I can't remember the details though sorry.

MJ
27litres

Post by 27litres »

Funnily enough, when I swapped out the "original" washer pump, I remember now that it was actually a smaller pump and the top pipe was blocked off. Still had the round 3 pin connector (only 2 pins in the pump from memory), so I think it came from a B5 or similar.
The Herth+Buss pump had the top pipe connection, but it was simply moulded in place.
The new pump, which I ultimately sourced locally after ordering the wrong one from Spareto, came from a supplier who uses JP Group. However it came with Audi rings on the casing (?). It also has a ball bearing seal on the top of the outside pipe, with something loose inside (level sensor?).
Have high hopes for this pump, as I don't want to do that job again and would like to simply enjoy having windscreen washers (you don't realise how often you use them until you don't have them!)
Last edited by 27litres on Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty

27litres

Post by 27litres »

Ronin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:26 am Prices of spare parts for you may be a little higher, but i bet living in Australia your subframes have never seen rust!
Quite true. Rust doesn't really concern us here anymore! Since manufacturers of all brands started using zinc dips in the 90's, it's pretty much only accident repairs that rust!
MikkiJayne wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:29 pm the owner of the other one took some degree of offence to us starting up this one so here we are.
So is everyone there still buying from Prestige?
Marty

27litres

Post by 27litres »

Michaela, you're usually up on international freight costs...
Any idea how much to ship a rear door window glass down here (standard 3 layer laminate)?
Marty

MikkiJayne

Post by MikkiJayne »

I can check on shipping glass. It would need a pretty sturdy crate constructing for it from plywood so size and weight would be tricky to calculate.

I'm still buying from Prestige yeah, although I think I have more D2 stock than they do now as they are moving on to later models to stay relevant with the market. They don't buy many D2s to break any more.