I'm taking apart the sport recaro seats

The more you look, the worse it gets.
Ronin
Site Admin

I'm taking apart the sport recaro seats

Post by Ronin »

Has any of you done this?
Both front seats in my car have leaky lumbar support.
I've taken apart one of the seats and will be doing a leak test to see where its actually leaking from.
I can't find much info on this online so will post here and update you with my findings.
So far I've tested the air bags themselves and they are holding up just fine so the fault must be somewhere else in the system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ronin
Site Admin

Re: I'm taking apart the sport recaro seats

Post by Ronin »

OK, i tested every single part of the air system and found it all to be OK except for one of the outlets on the valve block, it has a little crack that quickly lets air out. My car is a 2002 so i doubt it was ever fixed.

The second pic shows the brass insert with an O ring, and the red lines show how tall the 'collars' so to speak are. Only one (the tallest one) is cracked.

I'm not gonna risk fixing that with some epoxy after taking all this time to carefully take apart the seat, i think ill look for a similar pump in other VAG models, or maybe pre fl A8 had a metail manifold on the valve block or something...
I also thought about submerging the whole thing in some sort of liquid rubber or tar and letting it set, but thats a bit extreme.
suggestions are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ronin
Site Admin

Post by Ronin »

Update:
7 series e38 valve block appears to be suspiciously similar to the audi one, except they don't seem to have the cracking issue as the inlets are completely recessed in the plastic. I bought one to try and will let you know how it goes.
Ronin
Site Admin

Post by Ronin »

OK people, I'm glad to confirm that the above BMW valve block is a direct swap with the AUDI one and is a much better and sturdier design, even the mounting tab matches and the threaded clip fits the BMW part too. No modifications required at all, the plug from the loom in the seat fits perfectly too.

You should budget around 4h to do the first seat, 2h after that for the second seat.
There is no special tools required other than a zip slider to zip up and then staple the bottom of the back rest as it was done at the factory.
Attached Thumbnails